Unclogging A Drain: Hydro Jetting Vs. Snaking
Keeping your drain unclogged, and your pipes clean is extremely important. When it comes to clearing clogs and/or cleaning your pipes, your plumber will typically use one of two solutions; hydro jetting or a plumbing snake. As you may have imagined, a plumbing snake is a more common/classic option. However, hydro jetting is another and more innovative approach to solving pipe problems. When it comes to determining which method is more beneficial, it depends on the situation.
What Is Hydro Jetting?
Hydro Jetting is a method of drain cleaning used by professional plumbers that involves sending a blast of high pressure water through your pipes, to remove blockages and build up.
Why A Plumbing Snake Is Useful:
- It works – You know the saying, if it’s not broke don’t fix it, right? Well, a plumbing snake is a tried and true method that we know works and plumbers have been using it for decades.
- It’s gentle on your pipes – If your pipes are old or fragile, snaking is a great option because it’s nondestructive.
- Minor clogs are a breeze – If your pipes are experiencing a minor clog, snaking is a great option.
- Snaking can help to expose other problems – Since snaking a drain uses pressure to break through your clog, it can help to alert of other issues within your pipes (like roots penetrating your pipes).
When A Plumbing Snake May Not Be Useful:
- Ultimately, snaking a drain is a temporary fix. If your issue is a minor backup, it’s likely enough to do the trick, but it could leave the opportunity for more clogs in the future. To eliminate your risk of clogs, you may want to consider something more powerful. This is where hydro jetting can be beneficial.
Why Hydro Jetting Is Useful:
- Tough clogs don’t stand a chance – A tough clog (that snaking may not be able to tackle) won’t stand a chance against the high-pressure hose used in the hydro jetting method of drain cleaning.
- Quick – With a high-pressure stream of water shooting through your pipes, your clog will be cleared out very quickly.
- Removes additional problems – The strength of hydro jetting can help to eliminate additional blocks and issues that may have been discovered during the snaking process (it can even potentially clear tree roots).
- Versatile – Hydro jetting is an effective option for all pipe systems.
- Clears clogs for the future – What’s great about hydro jetting, is that it helps eliminate the route of a problem creating a more permanent solution. Grease, minerals, and other debris buildup on the walls of your pipes is often not removed with snaking, which can lead to another potential clog in the near future. By clearing this harmful buildup from the walls of your pipes, we are providing a solution that is more permanent.
When Hydro Jetting May Not Be Useful:
- If you have fragile pipes, the pressure associated with hydro jetting can be damaging and dangerous. For this reason, having a professional plumber accurately assess the situation before choosing the best course of action for your unique system is key.
Hydro jetting is most commonly used for commercial plumbing jobs, but it can also be very beneficial for homeowners. Particularly if your pipes regularly need snaking, and/or depending on the severity of the clog or blockage. Hydro jetting can be especially beneficial on older lines, as it removes years of debris buildup from the walls of your pipes, essentially setting back the clock on your plumbing system.
Regardless of the drain cleaning method being used, it is important to contact your professional plumber to get the job done. Finding the route of the problem first is necessary in implementing the proper solution for your situation. If you are using DIY chemical drain cleaners, you may want to reconsider as they can be destructive to your pipes. If you are experiencing a slow drain, or a plumbing backup, contact Kulk’s Plumbing & Heating and trust us to provide you with the best plumbing solution for your unique home. In an emergency plumbing situation, Kulk’s offers 24-hour emergency services!