Effect Of April Showers On Your Plumbing System
Spring is here, and that means spring rain showers. As April showers roll in, it is important to understand how heavy rain can distress your plumbing system. By understanding how rain showers can affect your plumbing system and pipes, you can better correct issues as they arise, or even better, avoid them.
How Heavy Rain Can Affect Your Plumbing System:
- Pressure Increase On Pipes – When heavy rainfall comes, especially if its more than a quick storm, ground saturation can occur. This saturation can cause dirt to turn to mud, which is heavier, leading to increased exterior pressure on your pipes.
- Pipe Shifting – In addition to creating mud, a saturated ground can lead to softening/this softening, coupled with the increased pressure can lead to pipe shifting, which can cause ruptures.
- Blocked Pipes – If your pipes have a leak(s), a rupture can allow for debris to enter into the pipes, which can cause a blockage. A blocked pipe can lead to several larger issues like; a backup of water into your basement or other underground spaces.
- Flooded Basement – As mentioned above, heavy rain can cause a flood in your basement triggered by pipe blockages or ruptured pipes. This extra water can also damage your foundation. When dealing with any sort of water in your home, the quicker it is cleaned up the less chance of damages. If a water issue is not addressed quickly, you may be looking at a much larger headache associated with water damages.
- An Overworked Sump Pump – If the ground is saturated, and water has begun to build around your foundation, the pressure of the water building can lead to penetration of your foundation walls into your basement. A sump pump is a small pump installed in the lowest part of your basement and its job is to keep the area underground dry to prevent flooding. Usually, sump pumps are installed in a sump pit. Its job is to pump water out of this pit, and away from the building. The more water your sump pump needs to remove, the harder it works. You want to make sure that your sump pump is an adequate size for your home, and that it is working properly (make sure to check this before the start of the rainy season) to avoid malfunctioning associated with being overworked.
When faced with extreme rain, some of these potential issues may be unavoidable, however, the best way to prevent them is to make sure your plumbing system is working properly. Regular maintenance and servicing are the best ways to ensure that your system is running as it should, and minor repairs are caught before they turn into larger replacements or damages. The biggest potential for plumbing system damages during heavy rainfall, is to systems with existing issues (whether you are aware of them or not). Have your plumbing system inspected regularly, especially before April showers begin!
For all plumbing & heating needs contact Kulk’s Plumbing & Heating. If you find yourself in an emergency situation during spring’s heavy showers, contact us 24.7 for emergency services!